Friday, January 14, 2011

Ummi wants to 'save the country' from Anwar

Ummi Hafilda Ali, the star witness in Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy and abuse of power trials in 1999, plans to sue the latter and his protege Azmin Ali to "save the country".

"This is why I would like to expose the two. I know them well and I want to save the country and the next general election from them," said Ummi Hafilda, in a packed press conference in Subang Jaya today.

Ummi Hafilda said that her planned civil action against Anwar, and several other opposition leaders, was not for monetary gains.

"I am prepared to be in the limelight once again although I know I will be threatened once again.

"I had been unlawfully imprisoned, my car was burnt, they had hung a dead cat on my front gate. I faced hell but I am prepared to face it one more time."Most importantly, I have gotten my mother's blessing," said Ummi Hafilda, who was reportedly once disowned by her father.



Ummi cites Musa, Ezam and Nalla

She vowed to produce evidence of abuse of power in court, adding that she might also rope in former Inspector-General of Police Musa Hassan.

“Musa was a 'Datuk' then. He was the investigating officer in the sodomy trial. I think the evidence will come out. However, all of you should wait for the trial,” she said.

“Former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad had once disbelieved me over my allegations against Anwar. However, when Musa verified the allegations, Mahathir came to see me personally.”

Other than Musa, Ummi Hafilda said that other individuals such as former PKR Youth chief Ezam Mohd Noor and Anwar's former tennis partner KS Nallakaruppan would back her.

”I do not what want to see this country fall into their hands as this will lead to further destruction. I am not in this fight alone as I believe former Anwar's good friend Nallakarupan will also join with me.

“I will try and prove such allegations over Anwar and Azmin's links while Ezam and (ex-PKR Youth exco member) Anuar Shaari will explain Anwar's links with Al Gore and George Soros and others," she said.


'Debate me first'

Ummi Hafilda, who is in the entertainment business, also poured scorn on Anwar's challenge to Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak to debate Pakatan Rakyat's 100-day reform plans.

"I would also like to challenge Anwar. Before he debates Najib, he should debate me. I would also like to challenge Anwar to swear on the Quran and deny my allegations," she said.

Meanwhile, Ummi Hafilda was unable to specify when her suits would be filed.

Asked if civil action can be taken against matters that had happened more than 10 years ago, Ummi Hafilda's legal advisor Mohd Khairul Azam Abdul Aziz said the suits would be based on the 2004 federal court judgments on Anwar's cases.

In 2004, the Federal Court upheld Anwar's abuse of power charge and six-year jail sentence but acquitted him of sodomy.

"The legal team is still studying the matter. We will file it soon," he said.

There is a seven-year time frame for civil suits to be initiated, but Mohd Khairul said that his team has up till September to file the actions because of the 2004 Federal Court decisions.


Suing elder brother Azmin

Ummi Hafilda also reiterated her plans to sue Anwar for alleged abuse of power while he was the deputy premier in her detention in 1997, which she claims was unlawful.

"While under detention, I had suffered losses for losing an advertising contract," said Ummi, who was in the advertising business at the time.

Ummi is seeking RM300 million in damages from Anwar and RM100 million against Azmin (right), who is her elder brother.

She is planning to file another suit against DAP chairperson and veteran lawyer Karpal Singh for RM200 million for breach of trust.

"I am suing Karpal for breach of trust as I had approached him for help... However, Karpal turned against me and represented Anwar," she said.

Also in the firing line is PKR president Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, Anwar's wife, for RM100 for keeping quiet about the latter's 'misdeeds'.

Another suit is being planned for PAS because the party had allegedly sent its central committee member Mohamad Sabu to hear out her complaints, but now supports Anwar. She aims to sue PAS for RM100 million.

Source : http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/153325

No comments: