Friday, July 02, 2010

Scholarship paves way for her Oxford dream

PETALING JAYA: As the brightest spark in her family, it is only natural for the rest of the household to rally around Nitthiyah Jeyaratnam. The 21-year-old is the only one of five siblings to qualify for tertiary education.

Her father Jeyaratnam Munusamy, 52, is a bus driver while her older three brothers didn't excel academically. Despite their low monthly income, some will be set aside for Nitthiyah.This is because the loan from the National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN) only covers her tuition fees and related academic expenses for this second year chemical engineering student at Universiti Pahang Malaysia.


"The study loan helps me but it is simply not enough. So, I have to depend on my family to bank in money for me sometimes," said Nitthiyah, who is also concerned about expenses for her youngest brother in Form Three.However, her housewife mother Mallika Appukuttan, 50, encouraged her to remain steadfast and focused on her studies, assuring her all the sacrifices would be rewarded.
"So, I never lost hope and always held firm belief if I continue to keep faith, things would take a turn for the better," said Nitthiyah, who was all smiles yesterday when she was awarded a scholarship by the Guinness Anchor Bhd (GAB) Foundation.

"The scholarship is something I've dreamt of since I was a child," said the teary-eyed Nitthiyah. "This will last me until I finish my degree."I'm grateful and honoured for this gift. One day, I will repay my gratitude by serving society by lecturing and sharing my knowledge," said Nitthiyah, who hopes to pursue her Masters Degree at Oxford University, England.Similar joyous gratitude was also visible among the other 18 lucky Malaysians who received financial awards from the GAB Foundation. Under its partial scholarship scheme, the foundation awarded a total of RM131,000 in scholarships to young adults pursuing tertiary education in recognised local and foreign institutions.GAB Foundation chairman Tan Sri Saw Huat Lye said: "Education plays an extremely important role in one's life as it is a stepping stone to a brighter future." This is the second year in the GAB Foundation programme. Todate, it has awarded financial assistance to 38 students for university degrees, college diplomas or advance diploma and certificate studies in recognised local and international institutions of higher learning.

Source : http://www.mmail.com.my/content/41888-scholarship-paves-way-her-oxford-dream

No comments: