Monday, July 09, 2018

Widow applies for citizenship, NRD renews red IC instead

A septuagenarian who applied for citizenship four years ago is frustrated that the National Registration Department renewed her red identification card instead.
Letchumie Sinnan, 74, first applied for citizenship about 20 years ago and has since made over 30 visits to the NRD. Her latest attempt to secure a Mykad four years ago was her fifth try.
"I have a red IC (for permanent residents). I applied for citizenship (and the Mykad) but to this day, it hasn’t been approved," she said.
"Every time I asked the NRD, they said my application was being processed. Finally, what I received was a renewed red IC.
"But my application was for a MyKad. I had submitted related documents required to obtain a Mykad," she told Malaysiakini.
Letchumie alleged that her application for a Mykad at the NRD was changed to an application to replace a lost IC.

"This is weird. I applied for a MyKad. But the NRD had instead renewed my red IC under the 'lost card' category. It doesn't make sense that the NRD took four years to 'replace a lost card'," she said.
Letchumie was born in Kuala Selangor in 1944, and moved to KL after she got married. Her husband passed away seven years ago, and she has no children.
Due to not possessing a MyKad, Letchumie said that she has been unable to secure employment, nor qualify for welfare benefits after the government stipulated that only Mykad holders were eligible for aid.
In the past, she had sought help from the MIC to resolve the issue, but cannot do so any longer as the party's service centre has shut down due to its loss in the 14th general election.
Since the polls, she says that she has made two visits to Batu MP P Prabakaran's service centre. 
"I have been to the Batu MP's office twice. But I didn't get the necessary help. They only recorded my complaints in writing.
"I hope the (new Pakatan Harapan) ministers can solve my problem," she said.

Source : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/433354

1 comment:

Winners' Circle said...

Bro, can give her details to contact her directly?