Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pele to Harimau Malaya: Play abroad!

Football legend Pele advises the Malaysian national team to play more matches abroad in order to be stronger and aim not only to win regional tournaments.

He said the exposure from playing football in various away grounds would bring wonders to the team spirit and enhance the players' tactics and skills.

"I think for the national team, the best advice is to have the opportunity to play abroad. It's different.

"Sometimes, the team is very good in your own town but sometimes, (when playing at) the different grounds, it's different," he told the media and national team today.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, more known by his football monicker Pele, has scored more than 1,200 goals in his career for Brazil and clubs Santos and New York Cosmos.

Widely regarded as the greatest football player of all time, he was in Kuala Lumpur today for a meet and greet session with the national football team Harimau Malaya and the press, organised by 100Plus.

In a country in which football is a religion, Pele has God-like status among his countrymen for bringing a total of three World Cup titles - the first as a 17-year-old in 1958.

The legend spent about 90 minutes talking and joking with Malaysians in an event moderated by former Manchester United and England fullback Paul Parker.

Team spirit

According to Pele, the better the team, the more pressure they will face.

The mark of a great player, he added, is those who believe in themselves and the ability of their teammates.

"I remember when I first scored and won my first World Cup (title) in Sweden, I was 17.

"People asked, 'Was it difficult for you?'. I say I don't have any problem because senior players like Didi and Garrincha are the ones who shoulder the responsibility of winning.

"But when taking the penalty kick for my 1,000th goal in Maracana (Stadium in Rio de Janeiro), when I stepped up to score, I am shaking (in) my legs and hands because all of the people want me to score," he said.

Pele, who once served as the sports minister for Brazil, said the most important aspect going for a team is teamwork, and not just depending on the skill of individual players like him.

He said the understanding shared by the whole team playing together as a unit is the most important factor in guaranteeing victory.

"People remembered me for scoring. But I can't score a thousand goals alone. My teammates make me look great.

"It is better to have teamwork and understanding among players than having one or two great players," he concluded.
 

Source : http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/300124

No comments: